Ripley United Church of Christ
Founded in 1856 as The Congregational Church of Twelve Mile Creek
Ripley UCC is rich in history, playing an important role in the Ripley family and in the local community. We share this history with you and invite you to become a part of Ripley’s future in making history for more generations to come!
1856 - 1875
- 1856 – The family of Christopher Hester hosts the first meeting of the soon to be Congregational Church of Twelve Mile Creek.
-
1866 – Financial gift received from Gov. W.A. Buckingham of Connecticut for the structure of the new church. Miss Jane Ripley, sister-in-law of Gov. Buckingham, presents a silver communion set to the new church.
- The original church building is built in the village of Old Buckingham. Dedication: June 19, 1987.
- The Congregational Church of Twelve Mile Creek is now known as Ripley Chapel in honor of Jane Ripley for her gift.
- 1874 – The Church members vote to dismantle the current church structure and move the church to Traer.
- 1875 – The Church structure located in Old Buckingham is dismantled and rebuilt in Traer. Dedication June 1875.
1892 - 1907
- 1892 – 1895 – Ripley takes deep interest in missionary work, standing second to none in the state in missionary work.
-
1895 – “With grateful hearts for blessings of the past, with a greater faith and enlarged vision of God, we look forward to the future.”
Mrs. Mary J. Ames, the last surviving charter member of the church that began as The Congregational Church of Twelve Mile Creek.
- 1900 – The Church members vote at annual meeting: New Church to be built at once. Over 600 members and spectators attended the laying of the cornerstone ceremonies on October 27, 1901. Present day Ripley Church building was dedicated on October 27, 1901.
- 1904 – The Sunday School was reorganized and consolidated to become the W.E. Bovey Sunday School Class.
- 1906 – The 50th anniversary of the church is observed with special services on June 23rd through June 24th.
- 1907 – Ruth Thomas first begins to play piano for Ripley during offertory on Patriotic Sunday with Blanch Porterfield. (Ruth was Ripley’s organist until 1979).
1907 - 1935
- 1913 – The church parsonage was approved and built with special assistance from the church’s Ladies Aid.
- 1916 – Missionary Society publishes Ripley Cookbook.
- 1919 – T.F. Clark Memorial Fund presented to Ripley. “The income was to go to the church forever.” The beginning of the endowment fund used to maintain the ministries of the church then and now.
- 1921 – Church name was changed to Ripley Congregational Church.
- 1929 – Agnes Wood commissioned to be a missionary in Inanda Seminary, a Mission School for Zulu girls near Durban, Natal, South Africa. “Christianity is the only hope for real peace.” Agnes Wood 1896-1998
- 1931 – The Diamond Jubilee was celebrated June 14th through June 15th. Anniversary Sermon “The Mission of the Church to our Age” preached by Rev. Alvin H. Boettcher.
1936 - 1956
- 1940 – Homebuilders Sunday School Class was formed. Ripley Congregational Women’s Association formed.
- 1942 – Ministerial license granted to Edward Vorba, ministerial son of the congregation, to serve as chaplain of Iowa State University.
- 1947 – Gifted to Congregational Church in Lebanon, CT, for restorations of the Gov. Buckingham pew. “In memory of his aid to the Ripley Congregational Church of Traer IA in the early days.”
- There must eternally exist “A Promise of Things to Be” faith and prayers of seven pioneers must continue to be borne out as years come and go. Gladene Hansen – author of A Promise of Things to Be.
- A historical story of the church’s beginning and growth.
- 1956 – “One Hundred Years of Music in Ripley Church” presented under the direction of Mrs. Carl Wilson, and organist Ruth Thomas.
- 1956 – A century of memberships are responsible for this church’s proud reign on this day and we gratefully acknowledge the efforts and achievements of those who pioneered its foundation and gave it succor in those early years of organization. Allan Bovey, author of the published history of Ripley’s Centennial Observance. Grandson to Rev. W.E. Bovey, Ripley Pastor 1904-1910. Celebrated June 15th through June 17th.
1957 - 1981
- 1957 – Rev. & Mrs. Ehlers publish “The Booster” newsletter.
- 1959 – Peace Church in Dysart requests to be yoked with Ripley Church. Chimes for the organ were gifted by Edna Staveley in memory of her parents, Nathan and Mary Canfield.
- 1960 – Ruth Thomas is honored for her many years as church organist. Ruth started playing the piano for Ripley in 1907.
- 1961 – Ripley Congregational Church chooses to participate in the newly formed United Church of Christ. The church votes to approve the UCC Constitution. Ripley Congregational Church is now Ripley United Church of Christ.
- 1965 – Women’s Fellowship celebrates 25 years.
- 1967 – Selva Reissig Lehman graces Ripley as the first woman to minister to the congregation.
- 1975 – God’s Given Talent Auction first annual event.
- 1979 – Ripley UCC mourns the loss of long-time organist Ruth Thomas.
-
1981 – Celebrating 125 years throughout 1981.
“While it is interesting to look back and see where we have been, it is important for us to also look forward and to continue to fulfill the mission of Ripley UCC in the 1980’s and beyond.” – Rev. Robert Opperman 1968-1985
1991 - 2006
- 1991 – Easy access made available with new street level entrance and elevator.
- 1993 – New steeple is built and placed on the church bell tower.
- 1998 – Ripley mourns the loss of missionary Agnes Wood.
- 2000 – Cornerstone time capsule is opened on August 8th and returned to the cornerstone on August 26th.
- 2005 – The 30th God’s Given Talent Auction.
- Stained glass windows refurbishing project is now complete.
- 2006 – The celebration of 150 years began with a weekend of tours, a play/concert, worship, and a Sunday dinner.
“This look back only covers the tip of what God has done in our lives and our town. As we go forward we expect to see God’s hand in our day-to-day lives, some of which will be the stuff of future histories. All of it is for the glory of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”
– Rev. Sheryl Eash Campbell, Pastor, Ripley UCC 1998-2007
2006 - 2024
- 2006 – Women of Ripley started creating quilts for local charities.
- 2020 – Services streamed for the first time during the Covid Pandemic.
- 2020 – Ripley begins livestreaming on Facebook with Christmas Eve Candlelight service.
- 2023 February – “Soul Stitching” engages the community in Ripley’s quilt missions.
- 2023 June – Celebration of Traer’s 150th birthday with ice cream social and quilt show.
- 2023 August – Ripley sponsors Salt Light Christian Band for ecumenical service during the Winding Stairs Festival.
- 2023 November – Bridge Minister Jim Coppoc begins writing a monthly pastoral column for North Tama Telegraph.
- 2024 January – Rubline Marketing/CorePHP hired to design a new website.
- 2024 May – The parsonage opens to the public as a monthly music venue.
Pastor Chronological Timeline
O. Emerson 1856
J.U. Upton 1857-1859
O. Emerson 1860-1861
Bennett Roberts 1862-1870
Henry Mills 1871-1872
James Gilbert 1872-1874
C. H. Bissell 1875-1882
J. S. Bingham D.D. 1882-1890
Israel Brown 1891-1895
Otterbein O. Smith 1895-1899
W. A. Hobbs 1899-1904
W.E. Bovey 1904-1910
Frank C. Gonzales 1910-1914
A.W. Miles 1914-1922
J.G. Graham 1922-1926
Herbert O. Allen 1926-1930
Alvin H. Boettcher 1931-1935
O.F. Moede 1935-1937
George W. Crosby 1937-1940
Benjamin Schwab 1940-1946
Clair E. Olney 1947-1948
Carl P. Bast 1949-1956
Henry W. Ehlers 1957
C. Howell Bischoff 1958-1963
Donald Light 1963-1967
Selva Lehman 1967-1968
Robert Opperman 1968-1985
Selva Reissig Lehman 1985-1986
James & Susan Zimmerman 1986-1988
Maurice M. Frevert 1988-1989
Mark Binder 1990-1995
Greg Clutz 1997-1998
Sheryl Eash Campbell 1998-2007
Pete Haglund 2007-2008
Robert Fread 2009-2019
Erika Bredden 2020-2021
Jim Coppoc 2023-Present